Monday, February 6, 2012

Short Addendum on Long Rant on Learning and Teaching

The good news.

 When the Student is Ready the Teacher is Everywhere.
Everyone learns and Everyone teaches.

There are probably as many styles of learning and teaching as there are people. All are valid. If one method and style doesn't work for you, try another.
My hope is, this conversation we are having is opening access to availability of teachers and mentors.

A few additional thoughts:

Anyone can transfer "facts" and techniques. Books, patterns, project sheets and You Tube are great for this.

A good teacher can clearly and concisely  share her learning and knowledge, explain her experience of the process and demonstrate her skills to show you how the techniques can be done.

A great teacher can do all of the above, and  listen to hear where you want to go on your journey and help you get there. Anyone can see what you are doing wrong. A mentor will be able to show you how to make it work for you, with patience, humor and grace.

If you are geographically challenged and feeling fiber isolated leave me a comment or send me an email( it's in my profile) and there is a good chance I can hook you up with a teacher near you.


Thanks for reading and please leave a comment. I don't need to have the last word.

2 comments:

badfaerie said...

You bringing up this topic has motivated me to adjust how I teach. I'm not working with my corp trainer hubby to develop my classes based on adult learning principles and organize them in a systematic way.

It's a lot of work but I hope it will pay off in students that leave the classes with a much better understanding of the material.

Robyn said...

Thanks bf for your devotion to your students and the craft!