Monday, July 25, 2011

Waking at Night

I have one child on Mission in Chile, one a Hotshot Wildfire Fighter out west, somewhere, and one Professional Tennis Player, who calls and says he is thinking about running a tennis program in Dubai.
So when Gina K sent our a message saying she didn't make a video last week cause she was sending off her first to a trip to India( organized and supervised). I made this one for her.

When I wake in the night knowing I have no idea where my children are or what they are doing , I remember that I have given them their inner landscape, no matter what appears in the outer, and that I am not the one who protects them now.
It's also a good time to color- quiet and no one calls.

The Created Byhand Challenge this week is "Only Ovals".
I used the Spellbinders deckled ovals to cut out the shapes and used the thermal emboss,emboss technique for the background.( see previous post.
The Quote is thermal embossed in Versafine Sepia- my goto ink. The back round and papers are colored with Distress Antique Linen and tattered rose, and the flourish is stamped in silver.
If I don't feel like coloring I read poetry.
Thanks for looking and your comments- what poetry inspires you?


The Peace of Wild Things

When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

— Wendell Berry

1 comment:

Yogi said...

very nice. I'm sure she'll appreciate the thought. I prefer a nice Haiku, although its rare I get inspired by them or poems. I've never been an "in depth" type person. I'm a surface skimmer...