Saturday, December 18, 2010

Challenged


Layering and the more the better seems to be the current fashion in cards.
It's not the real me. I like simple. If I have a quote I want to share I want that to be what you see.
Suzanne's calligraphy quotes are enough to stand alone on a card with a beautiful background to enhance their meaning.
Take a look at the slide show on the Quietfire Creations site, to see the wonders created by the DT.(i'm just the shepherdess of the challenge) .
i thought I can do that.
Well, here is my challenge to myself. I did a few more that went straight into the circular file, and I have a nice pile of nestie diecuts to use for something else.
Blessed is the season just fits into the second largest of the spellbinders ornament die, and you can layer up one size. Shout out to my BSIL Diana for the foil. the corners are an older photo corners die, that I think is retired. I heat embossed the outer edges of a card with gold, then layered with a cuttlebug embossed red layer that I highlighted with silver.




Then i did some cards i like. i got these Tim Holtz Texture Fade embossing folders and I love them. The embossing is deep and crisp and i love the way there is room on the page to enter your text and other stuff.

The backgrounds are the insert paper from the texture fades. I embossed, then heat embossed the quotes, then colored with the cut and dry nibs- I love them for coloring with distress inks.

The here and there card I layered to the best of my ability with 2 deckled mats.
I really like the open space in this card.


The risk card was hard to leave alone. the edges are done with just the branches of a tree punch.
what are your personal art challenges?
leave me a comment.

6 comments:

Yogi said...

they all turned out fabulously. I love the Pine tree one. Very moody.

All the best with your new store when it opens.

Art By Wanda said...

All wonderful cards!!! The ornament card is gorgeous!!!!

Patricia Morrison said...

Gorgeous. Someday I'll have to do something worthy of receiving a Robyn Josephs original in the mail!

I'm thinking a lot about art challenges right now, planning a Spirituality of Creativity day-long retreat, working through "The Artist's Way", only ten years after everyone else (I have this little problem with things that feel like prescriptions or self-help books) and struggling to pick up the guitar. Don't get me wrong, I'm singing in a church choir over advent, remembering how to play the piano using a simple Christmas carol book. I am making music, but the holiday bustle of my parents' house is a challenging space to find the stillness from which my own creative spirit wells up, so I'm thinking a lot about artistic challenges and, for now, I'm writing Morning Pages and singing carols.

One thing I am grateful for is a piece of mine that is in the latest issue of "The Western Friend" magazine. It's funny to admit how reading a piece of my own writing many months after it was written is a good reminder, but it really was. It is about the healing and creatively renewing power of wilderness. So, I suppose I am seeking a kind of mini-wilderness each day. Where do others find this? Especially others who don't have the luxury of living alone?

June Etta said...

Robyn, I too find the cards lovely, and they inspire me to think of new ways of playing at card-making. Patricia, I appreciate you comments about the challenge of finding the stillness from which to create when we are with others, and yet do keep singing, making, playing. Just two weeks ago, I, too, brought home an old copy of The Artist's Way. (((hugs)) to both of you.

heartgarden said...

What inspired work! Each piece is absolutely lovely. I didn't realize I'd be getting three cards when I clicked on the link this week.

Quietfire said...

These are beautiful Robyn! Really lovely. Thanks so much for using the stamps!